Friday, May 19, 2006

From Paris to Berlin...




Picture from www.shutterblade.net

I have not one, but two shameful confessions.

Firstly, I love Europop. It may be cheesy and kitsch but I don't care, the more it sounds like the work of someone driven crazy by over-consumption of sweets, the more I like it.

Secondly, I love the Eurovision Song Contest as it is the one night where I can wallow in my bad taste. This parade of the zany, overly-earnest and frankly inexplicable with widely diverse styles of music is such fabulous entertainment. Also Eurovision provides great insight into relations between European Countries. For example, Greece and Cyprus will always give each other high scores, as will the Scandanavian countries, whereas Germany usually doesn't do so well.

So I shall be watching tomorrow night munching on a big bag of sweets. Apparently the Finnish entry is a death metal with reptile costumes. How can that fail to be anything other then quality entertainment?

My prediction: I think Kate Ryan, representing Belgium will win.

6 Comments:

Blogger Alina said...

I've watched it this year, will not watch it again Saturday. If the music was ok, not my cup of tea, but ok, the costumes were awful! :D

5:33 AM

 
Blogger Safiya Outlines said...

Ok. I will confess to not being the Eurovision expert I claim to be. Kate Ryan didn't even qualify for the finals as she was knocked out in the semis which happened on Thursday and the semis aren't shown on TV here. Mea Culpa!

Still the Finns were certainly different, weren't they?

10:54 PM

 
Blogger 3617MyLif€ said...

And the winner is : Lordi from Finland.
That was awesome!!!

1:03 PM

 
Blogger Alina said...

I have to say I hated the winning song. Not because it was rock, but because it was bad rock...I have weird tastes in music, but I like good music of any type! And this time I really don't understand why people chose a song just because it was different...

9:06 AM

 
Blogger Safiya Outlines said...

My favourite song was the uber-camp entry from Malta. I can't believe that got only two points!

I think the Finnish song was so popular just because it was very different from your typical Eurovision song.

The voting is getting ridiculous though, they might as well say "..And the top three marks go to which ever three countries are closest to us".

6:41 PM

 
Blogger moonlight said...

hi
love ya site cuz its very colorful n i'm a very colorful person,hope 2 c u on my site also.
bye

10:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home